July 12, 2006

History

I really like history, I think that it is so interesting and neat. But taking classes in college has really made me think about somethings.

In school, I was told that Columbus had to convince the King and Queen that the earth was not flat, and that everyone thought that he was going to fall off the end of the world. But the truth is that everyone thought that the world was round.

There are many examples of this, through out the classes that I am taking. So, how many things have we been lied to about? Why do they continue to teach the wrong things at schools?

I think that one thing that is disheartening is the fact that there are somethings that Americans are too embarassed to talk about. Things such as the Japanese "relocation" camps that America had during WWII. Or about the anti-catholic attitude that this country was founded on. I think that if we as a nation expect to work through the predjudices that we have, we need to be willing to admit, that we are not a perfect nation. We have our faults.

God Bless,
Nicole

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you go to high school? I'm a Japanese-American who grew up in Hawaii, and I was very aware of the relocation camps in WWII; they are discussed openly as early in our educations as seventh and eighth grade.

I appreciate your justifiably righteous indignation, however. Things like this should never be kept secret.

As a Christian woman, you must have opinions about similar untruths that are spread in Evangelical churches. I'm a Christian man, and it still sorta disappoints me that people still try to pretend that Moses wrote the first five books in the OT, even though it's pretty clear that he did not, or that 2Peter was almost surely not written by whoever wrote 1Peter. That stuff is in all the commentaries, which our SS teachers and ministers read, but that's not taught in SS classes or in pulpits, is it?

And that's a shame, because acting as if the truth of those things diminshes the truth contained in the passages (as if it MATTERS whether or not Moses wrote Genesis!) only broadcasts a confusing mixed message among the body, don't you think?

Thanks for the thoughtful post -- it's giving me something to chew on this evening.

Playlist



Free Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Free Ebooks